Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Todd Rundgren- a Brief History



I've been accused of being the only Todd head in my generation, although I seriously doubt that, in all honesty I'm fine with it. I think he's a technical wizard (a true star if you will, hyuck!), a great song writer, and all around fascinating musician.

He started his career in Philadelphia forming Nazz, a psych pop outfit that took a lot of inspiration from British rock at the time. The Nazz took off with their hit "Open my Eyes". Moving out to Los Angeles they completed a second album, and a portion of the third before Todd left the group with plans of becoming a producer.





While signed as a Bearsville record producer he recorded some solo stuff under the name of Runt, which lo and behold had another hit single with "We Gotta Get You a Woman". So while he kept producing, it got put to the back burner and his song writing became the emphasis again, which I can't say I'm sorry for.



The two all encompassing Todd Rundgren albums are "Something/Anything" (1972), which features his songwriting chops, and "A Wizard, A True Star" (1973) which shows off his producer side.

Hopefully this will entice you to explore more of the Todd.









No comments:

Post a Comment